The Wellpinit School District is a rural K-12, public school district centered on the Spokane Indian Reservation in Eastern Washington. It is located in southwest Stevens County, approximately 45 miles from Spokane. We serve approximately 600 students in grades K-12. Wellpinit School District was chartered as a state and county school in 1913 and a large public school was built in 1938. The present school facility was built in 1987 with the current Elementary school grades located in the old school building that was renovated in 2003. In addition, the District serves students beyond the reservation boundaries through the Alliance Education Program. The Wellpinit School District has a staff of approximately 100 personnel.
Our local student population is approximately 95%
Native American or descendent. The students residing in the district are
primarily from the Spokane Tribe of Indians; in addition we also have students
from the Colville Confederated Tribes, Nez Perce, Coeur d' Alene, Kalispell and
The district’s recently remodeled building houses the Middle School (grades 6-8) and high school (grades 9-12). The elementary school is housed in a nicely remodeled building about a half mile from the middle school and high school building. The district also has buildings that house the Wellpinit Alliance program and district office. In addition, the district operates remote classroom sites as part of the Alliance program, including classrooms at Fort Simcoe Job Corps, and Moses Lake Columbia Job Corps. The district has a broad range of programs to serve the needs of its diverse student population.